click to see pictures without slideshow

Monday 10 October 2011

Ironbridge


Friday we went to iron bridge, in coalbrookdale to see, well, the world's first cast iron bridge, built in England in 1779. We also went to the ironbridge gorge museum. We drove there with Peter..which is horrifying by the way..and it was a two and a half hour drive. Needless to say, the drive wasn’t so fun. When we arrived it started to rain just a bit, but luckily not enough to force us inside. We walked over the bridge, which on a nice day I’m sure was a beautiful view. Although the weather wasn’t so great it was cool to see this piece of history. It is crazy how far we have come since then and how this single iron bridge influenced the growth of iron usage and impacted society forever. We went to a bunch of museums too, which I started to find kind of boring after we walked through the seventh room filled with china. Honestly, how much china do I need to see? But, there was one museum I thought was cool. The Darby Houses, which took us through the house of the Darby family who were Quaker ironmasters. The house looked tiny from the outside but once we were in there it seemed like the rooms went on forever. However, I did realize this is definitely a lifestyle I would not want to live. There was no bathroom instead there was a little pull out drawer from their nightstands with like..a bowl_pot. Is that a joke haha i'm going to stop complaining about my dorm now. And they didn't shower. If they wanted to take a bath their servants would bring up a large enough tub type thing and then fill it with pails of water..and only in the summer because you would catch a cold in the winter! At the end of this museum there was a room full of old fashion clothes, and we got to try them on! It was so fun and hilarious.


But again, definitely not something I would have enjoyed if I lived then. The women had to wear tight as can be corsets under all their dresses, so much that they can’t even bend over. Skinny jeans are enough work for me, forgett what they went through. And the dresses are so heavy! I did not expect it to be that heavy when I picked it up. Then there are the bonnets...and well enough said..there's a reason no one wears bonnets anymore. They don’t work for anyone unless you’re under the age of one. So I learned a lot on my trip to ironbridge and i'm grateful it was the last time I will have to drive with peter!

No comments:

Post a Comment